With the abundance of sunshine hours and flowers blooming, the watering eyes of marketers may not only be due to allergies but the question of what to promote. Fear not!
While not as condensed as the winter holiday shopping season, there are a few key spring holidays and celebrations that have strong ties to certain retail trends. We’ve gathered a list of top events to curate content promotions toward over the next few months and which categories to keep top of mind.
Bunnies & Matzos
Easter – Sunday, April 17, 2022
Passover – Friday, April 15 through Saturday, April 23, 2022
In 2021, US adults consumers spent an average of $180 and a total of $21.8B to celebrate the spring holidays. For those celebrating and especially hosting, market home goods for entertaining and sprucing up the home along with food and travel.
- Home goods, like dining, decor, and organizing
- Specialty holiday-themed gifts, toys, and games
- Food and snacks
Welcome to Earth
Earth Day – Friday, April 22, 2022
Every spring, we celebrate Earth Day by supporting environmental protection through earth-conscious activities, including making small changes in everyday shopping habits. This year’s earth day comes as more and more brands are starting to address rising consumer demand for sustainability. According to a September 2020 survey, more than half of US and European respondents said they consider sustainability when making a clothing purchase. Of course, planting and gardening are nice ways to help celebrate the earth while spending time in the great outdoors. As a part of Earth Day or a newfound hobby, gardening is having a moment; according to eMarketer garden equipment and supplies have brought in an estimated $68.15B in the first two months of 2022, up 12% year over year.
- Brands that are known to promote sustainable practices
- Gardening accessories and supplies
- Reusable household goods
May the Fourth Be with You
Star Wars Day – Wednesday, May 4, 2022
A date pun almost as beloved as the franchise itself, Star Wars is a cornerstone of pop culture that has transcended many different cultures, countries, and continues thanks to beloved fans turned filmmakers, Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau. This informal commemorative day observed annually on May Fourth lets fans celebrate their favorite Wookies and green babies by gearing up and hunkering down to watch the series.
- Licensed toys like lightsabers, all things Grogu (Baby Yoda), books, and clothing
- Streaming services or collectors’ edition films
- Specialty foods and party supplies
Celebrating Both Regular and Cool Moms
Mother’s Day – Sunday, May 8, 2022
Although the dates for Mother’s Day around the globe vary, this spring the US celebrates their moms, and this year the gifting will be bigger than ever. eMarketer predicts that in the US, retail gift spending for Mother’s Day will total $28.1 billion, up to $1.4 billion from 2020. This has been the trend with previous years as gift spending for Mother's Day has increased by more than $10 billion over the past 10 years. Each mom is as unique as the flowers that are often ordered for them, but the range of top unique gift categories can range quite a bit, from photo albums and jewelry to a solo trip to recharge.
- Books and photos
- Trips and experiences
Other Seasonal Trends
Also look to habits and trends that go hand in hand with the changing of the seasons, and some promotions ideas such as:
- Wedding season – This could encompass anything from last-minute wedding supplies, gifts for the happy couple, and formal wear for guests.
- Festival season – Music and cultural festivals are back and aside from tickets, clothing, sun protection, and small accessories like bags or phone chargers will be a necessity.
- Graduations – Gift cards can go a long way for a new grad who may be preparing for dorm life or life in the real world.
- Spring cleaning – What’s better than enjoying the sunshine and coming back to a clean organized home? Showcase organizational products, furniture, and cleaning supplies.
- Clothing and beauty refresh – It’s been some time since some of us ventured out with a “getting ready” routine. Apparel and beauty will both do well, particularly as wardrobe refreshes are way overdue and there is a strong wave of those returning to an office in some form or fashion.
- Enjoying the outdoors – Warmer weather brings out the urge to warm up outside by either camping, recreational sports, or playing outdoor games in a newly furnished patio space.
- Spring through summer travel – If the Spring Break itch has not yet been scratched, many will be planning and booking their Summer travel plans now through August.
We hope these tips will help to guide you through the next quarter during spring celebrations!